Merry Christmas everyone!
Like my reindeer costume? Complete with hooves! I am quite busy entertaining the staff of ECAC, but I’d like to take a moment to discuss some pointers on keeping your pets safe during the holidays.
Each week for the month of December I will discuss dangers within the home, including toxic foods and plants and keeping your pet comfortable and as stress free as possible during the holiday rush.
This week’s topic: Dangers in your home
1. Tree – Your tree is a beautiful celebration of Christmas, however it can be a hazard for your pets. Most trees aren’t toxic, but it can make pets sick if they ingest needles.
2. Tree water – Make sure there are no additives in your tree water. Pets may drink it and become very sick.
3. Decorations (ornaments, tinsel, cords) – Try to use shatterproof ornaments where your pet may have access to the tree. This will prevent pets from getting cut on broken ornaments that have fallen or are knocked off the tree.
-Tinsel is shiny and looks like a fun toy to pets, especially to us cats! If ingested it can cause major problems in the gastrointestinal tract. This can lead to a possible exploratory surgery.
-Cords pose a threat to pets that like to chew. Keep cords safely away from pets so that they don’t risk electrocution.
4. Ribbon – Decorative ribbon is a beautiful addition to arrangements and presents. Make sure that pets are not able to eat this ribbon. Like tinsel, it can cause major problems if ingested and possibly lead to exploratory surgery.
5. Candles – Never leave candles unattended. Always make sure they are out of reach of pets, again especially to us cats. We can jump to high places and the flame can singe our whiskers or burn our fur! Ouch!
6. Fire – This is the time of year fire places are in use. Be sure that pets don’t get too close to the heat!