Hello everyone! I’m back with some tips on keeping your pets safe during the chilly winter months.
1. Keep pets indoors, especially at night, to stay warm. This is the best way to make sure your pet is safe from the elements.
2. Be careful around fire and heaters. Pets (especially us cats) like to curl up around the fire or in front of heaters. Make sure we don’t get too close and end up with burns.
3. Old, young and pets with medical conditions (such as diabetes, thyroid problems and heart conditions) can have a harder time regulating their temperature. Being in the cold too long can cause problems. Make sure to keep an eye on your pet when getting exercise outside. If your pet is shivering, bring them back in immediately. Also be conscious of arthritic pets. The cold can affect them more
4. Watch for ice! Pets can slip and easily become injured, just like humans. The ice is also very cold on their pads. Consider boots for your pets if they are walking in snow or on ice.
5. Careful of chemicals! Antifreeze is deadly to pets! Store this in a place where pets can’t access it. Also check under your vehicle for leaks. If your pet has ingested antifreeze call the vet immediately!
6. Check under the hood! Even if your pet doesn’t stay outdoors, stray animals will try to find a warm place to sleep. Cats like to crawl around the warm engine of the car and can become injured or even killed when the car is started. Give your hood a good tap or take a quick peek each morning before starting up!
7. If your pet stays outside, make sure they have fresh drinking water. Water bowls can freeze quickly overnight.