Merry Christmas everyone! I’m back again to give you more tips on keeping your pets safe during the holidays!
This is the time of year people eat lots of goodies! It’s a time for baking and having candy around the house. It’s also the time of year you should be very careful to make sure your pets’ don’t get into any of your goodies. As tempting as it is, you shouldn’t feed your pet from the table either.
This week’s topic: Foods that are toxic
1. Chocolate: Everywhere you look there are chocolate goodies to be found! Chocolate candies, chocolate chip cookies, cakes, etc. Baker’s chocolate is the most toxic to your pet. The ingredients Theobromide and Caffeine found in chocolate are toxic to pets. Chocolate can cause vomiting and central nervous system problems.
2. Sugar-Free items: Most gums and some candies are sugar-free. They are made with an artificial sweetener called Xylitol. Xylitol is toxic to animals. If ingested it can cause ataxia (wobbling), seizures, vomiting among other symptoms.
3. Grapes and raisins: They seem like a healthy treat, but they are in fact toxic! They can cause acute kidney failure in dogs.
4. Bones: Everyone wants to give their pet a special treat on Christmas. Usually it’s the bone from the ham at Christmas dinner. The bone can splinter and cause a puncture in the esophagus. Getting table scraps can also cause pancreatitis and make your pet extremely ill.
5. Macadamia nuts: There are usually mixed nuts found around the house during the holidays or cookies made with nuts. Macadamia nuts are toxic and can cause vomiting and trembling in dogs.
6. Milk: Your cat may want a special treat for Christmas and milk seems to be a common goodie for us. It is not toxic, however it can cause us to have diarrhea.
If you want to give your pet a special treat, try making something homemade that is easy on the intestinal tract. There are several peanut butter treat recipes online. If your pet has a sensitive stomach, give them 1 extra of their regular treats. (We don’t care what we get, as long as we get something!)
Pancreatitis: Inflammation of the pancreas. Pancreatitis is painful. It is typically caused by your pet eating something out of the ordinary. If pancreatitis goes untreated it can be fatal. If your pet is showing symptoms of abdominal pain, vomiting, depression and/or anorexia, see your vet right away. You pet will need to be fasted and possibly hospitalized and started on iv fluids to prevent dehydration.
Gastrointestinal Foreign Body: Ingestion of an object that cannot pass through the GI tract. This may include toys, bones, articles of clothing, string, etc. Your pet may show symptoms of abdominal pain, anorexia, vomiting and lethargy. A radiograph may be able to conclude if your pet has a foreign body and if surgery is necessary to remove it.
We want your pets to stay happy and healthy during this holiday season. We hope these tips have helped and everyone has a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!