Merry Christmas Everyone! Precious here with more tips on keeping your pets safe during the holidays!
The holidays are the time of year we like to bring Mother Nature into our homes. As beautiful as plants are, they can make your pets very sick.
This week’s topic: Plants that are toxic
1. Mistletoe: Everyone loves to sneek in a kiss, but if Rover or I ingest this plant (and we all know how us cats love to eat plants), we can become very ill. It’s even toxic to horses! Ingesting mistletoe may cause vomiting, diarrhea and cardiovascular problems.
2. Holly: The berries are so pretty, but they are not for eating! These can also cause vomiting and diarrhea in your pet.
3. Lilies: Most lilies are toxic. Most affect us cats more than dogs. They cause vomiting and sometimes kidney failure!
4. Poinsettia: This is the most common Christmas plant. They are beautiful, but can cause irritation to dogs and cats. These plants produce a milky substance. You may see salivation or even vomiting if ingested.
If your pet ingests a toxic plant, call your veterinarian right away! Don’t wait – Early intervention is what saves lives!